Friday, February 01, 2008

Cyclone


Cyclone,
Hurricane,
Typhoon,
Monsoon,
call it whatever you want but it's basically just a big bunch of wind and water! From what I understand it has to do with hot air and cold air mixing which creates a circular ferocious and many times deadly wind. Of course of all this happens over ocean water and that's were the massive waves begin to smash anything that happens to get in their way! Truly nothing to mess about with, better to steer clear and run than to stand firm and face it! At least if you run you can live to brag about it another day!

And that's what our fearless captain did on a ship our family was sailing on a couple of weeks ago. When we came across a tropical storm called Cyclone Fiona we pulled anchor and skedaddled! We still managed to encounter 10 meter swells and at one point the ship pitched 10 degrees! It was a little bit like riding a GIANT roller coaster. I must admit I was a little surprised at how comfortable I was even through the worst of that stormy, topsy-turvy day and a night on the open seas.
Why so calm? I guess as I look back now I would say that I’ve had a life time of practice at trusting someone else with my life, sort of my personal life captain you could say. Yup, I've weathered a few storms in my day and all because I decided many years ago to ruthlessly trust in the Captain of my soul. It may sound funny but way down deep inside of me somewhere I've learned to let go of the ships wheel and let Him guide me into safe harbor when the storms of life hit!
I heard there were some on board who disagreed with the captain, who felt we should have gotten what we paid for, who thought he was way too careful in his judgment. I guess they must have trouble trusting the wisdom and understanding of a seasoned Captain.... Not me!
God is Good All the Time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it's easier to be trusting when you come from a place of thanksgiving. You're thankful for the trip - your captain receives part of that gratitude through trust, just as we are thankful for our lives and our Creator receives that gratitude in many ways, including trust.