Thursday, December 12, 2013

All Things Are Possible Part 1

Lately I have been thinking more and more about the impossible.  I've been asking questions like, what in my life seems impossible to me.  Will I ever gain victory over this or that? Is a particular relationship ever going to change or always remain cold and extremely delicate?  What are the areas of my life that are simply in survival mode rather than full of vision and passion?  Have I stopped believing God for the impossible and would rather settle for the possible?  Am I more committed to complacency and being comfortable rather than taking risks and looking for new challenges?  Have there been things the Holy Spirit has asked me to do that I have said no to so often that He no longer asks me?  In my prayer life have I stopped asking for more or have I just settled into a routine that works for me and soothes my conscience? 
I think these questions are healthy for any Christian to ask.  If we believe that Christ is in our midst, and if we believe he wants to show us more of his greatness and reveal more of his desire for us so we can reach our full potential as his children, and if we believe that the Jesus we knew in 2013 wants us to know more of himself in 2014, if we really believe these things, then spending time asking and seeking out the answers to questions like those listed above is essential. 
Sometimes I tend to shy away from the audacious and often hard to believe situations and statements found in the scriptures.   Not that I don’t believe they happened like the Bible says they did but more like believing these types of things could happen in my life.  Like when Moses believed God for a way forward through the Red Sea when the people of Israel were trapped by mountains and the Egyptian army was coming down on them fast; or when Joshua was in a ferocious battle against five armies at one time and needed extra time in the day to gain the victory and believed God could make the sun stand still; or just like Daniel who trusted that God would take care of him and his friends choosing not to eat the kings regulated and choice foods but instead ate vegetables and water even though they knew the king could have them killed for such an action.  Or how about crazy ol’ Peter who asked permission from Jesus to step out of the boat and walk on water and then actually did! Do I really believe in what Jesus meant when he said in Matt 17:20 "Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."   This challenges me.  When Jesus said nothing will be impossible for you, was he thinking of me?  Is there a level of Christian faith that is so broad and so much deeper than I currently have that actually believes that perhaps nothing could be impossible for me?  I want to get there, I want to grow in this area of my life and I want as many people as I can to come along with me.  How about you? Can we together believe God for what appears to be impossible?  I say, let’s give it a go shall we!


No comments: