Saturday, October 08, 2005

Hectic

Hectic is a good word. It describes something that is almost out of control but still has elements of control in it. It describes my week to a tee. It seemed as though this week has been a ton of people time and not much study time. The times I usually set aside for study were consumed by others who I suppose I could have seen as interruptions but by the grace of God I didn't. Helping a homeless man with three kids what just the beginning. That took up most of my Tuesday. Most of Wednesday was spent with a group of caring folks who want to assist and enable our food bank here in peachland to broaden its mandate to include the transients and the families like the man with three kids in desperate need. Most of Thursday was spent with leadership people. I am so happy that one of our parishioners wants to use his teaching gifts more within our fellowship. I have been trying to entice him for years and finally this year he has decided to bless our church with his teaching skills. He also wants to do more counseling so I will be passing off some of what I do to him. That night I went to a rockets hockey game with danae and paige with tickets that were given too us. The rockets won 3-0 over the St. Albert Raiders. We had a great time. I was also approached by one of my fellow fire fighters to counsel him through the grief he is experiencing over the loss of his father in law. I love those times. Times I can minister to a person who is yet to experience the life of Christ. Five minutes before we were to meet he called and asked for a rain check. So I guess we will see if that opportunity comes round again. This morning was my regular men's life group. We have such a great time together. Praying for each other, encouraging one another, challenging one another, a real band of brothers. I always come away very full after our meetings. Needless to say that after all this stimulation I had a tough time settling down and getting into the books today and I haven't finished my sermon yet. Oh well, hectic basically describes it all.

2 comments:

Shuana said...

Sometimes the best sermon is simply one that focuses on a close reading of a passage. I'm finding that when I teach this way I don't need much preparation. Of course, I'm also allowing the students to discuss the piece--not designing a sermon.

Nan said...

Your blog pretty well sums up why you are in peachland not some ritzy snobby city church. Keep on truckin'!