Thursday, December 08, 2005

Labels

Maybe it's more a pastor thing than anything else. Then again maybe it is typically human for all of us. The fine art of labeling other people. As a pastor I know I tend to label others based on two basic criteria. First, by their foremost or obvious sins. So and so is a liar, that person has a shady character, this person is immoral. The second is by the way that person has either intentionally or unintentionally disappointed me. They said one thing and did another, that person dropped the ball, this person has stopped attending our fellowship. The list could tend to be long and varied for both obvious sins and disappointments. Unfortunately, when I run into these folks, I often find myself unable to look past their sins and disappointments. The labels I create put up barriers that restrict connection with some while in other cases stopping relationship all together.
How do you view people?
In Luke 7 there is a terrific story about a women who came to a Pharisee's home to see Jesus while dinner was being served. Uninvited, unwelcomed and definitely unwanted by those gathered around the table, this women put on a show of extravagant love in desperate measure by wetting Jesus feet with her tears, drying them with her hair and anointing them with expensive perfume. Those around the table had labeled her as a sinner and were busy attaching labels to Jesus because he allowed this show of desperation by letting such a women even touch him.
Jesus whole ministry drove anyone who labels others crazy! He seems to gravitate to the labeled ones. So much so that his label went something like "he is a glutton and a alcoholic and a friend of sinners!" These outcasts found love, acceptance and forgiveness in Jesus and maybe for some of them someone who didn't bother to label them by their sins and their disappointments for the first time in their entire lives.
Lord, help me to train my mind and heart to see all the people around me without attaching labels based on sins and personal disappointments. Show me how to love and accept everyone the way you did and do to this day. Amen.