Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Memories from frozen water

It has been cold enough this year to have an out door skating rink. I know, I know, that is not a big deal to you all but to us here in the mild Okanagan it's a real treat. This year the fire department got a few of it's members to volunteer to make a terrific outdoor skating rink a little way from our house. There is quite a fine art to this procedure and it as taken a few seasons to get it right. Basically, I think you just can't be in any kind of a hurry. One must put thin layers of water down because if you put to much water down at one time the top freezes before the bottom and forms air pockets. And skate blades and air pockets in ice don't mix. I am excited to go over and skate around a bit.
I was thinking about the times when me and a bunch of friends would go skating on the ponds and lakes around B'lodge. We had such a great time except of course for solidly frozen feet that came with it! That nasty sensation of the THAW! When your toes ache right up to the top of your knees! The uncomfortable feeling of taking chilled feet and putting them into ice cold boots! Did I say we had a great time???? I remember freaking out a couple of times when we heard a huge crack as the ice shifted and made a sharp cracking sound. Ever see 15 kids skate for the edges all at the same time. I even remember taking a vehicle out on the ice surface and spinning doughnuts as everything in the cab was tossed from side to side! Oh what fun it is to ride! (Yes dad that was your vehicle!)
Guess I'll just have to find some time before we head for B'lodge and home for Christmas to take the kids over for a skate on the new out door rink. Should be a good time. Make a few of our own memories on frozen water.
Have a good day everyone!
God is good--all the time!

3 comments:

Shuana said...

It is surprising that I made it through my teen years, having to be part of most of your "adventures". I remember the skating too. What fun, especially when a huge bonfire crackled close by to warm frozen fingers and toes. I also loved playing hockey msot of New Years day.

Angela said...

I have memories of skating on the rinks set up in prairie school yards and parks. Our feet still froze, and our boots were just as cold, but at least we didn't need to think about cracks in the ice! The abundance of outdoor skating rinks is one thing that I miss about prairie winters; we just don't get the same kind of consistent cold here. I doubt I could get Sam to skate on a frozen pond anyway. He loves skating and hockey, but he strongly dislikes water. He doesn't think he needs to know how to swim, because there is no water under the ice in a hockey rink!

Nan said...

No frozen ponds around here as it is still very warm. I remember skating down the BL river out by Lock's and it seemed like you could go on forever in spite of tripping over logs etc. Then hot chocolate and hot dogs over the open fire. We also used to have school skating parties out on McNaught's lake. What fun!