Monday, February 27, 2006

Captivate me; Elevate me; Lord!

Man races against horse

This morning I read a verse that simply took me away into the imaginations of my heart. It captivated my mind and fascinated my spirit. God has such a way with imagery, a real flare as a word smith. This weekend I picked up a book (finally used my Christmas gift card) by Eugene Peterson called "A Long Obedience in the same Direction: Discipleship in an Instant Society" As I settled in to read the first chapter this morning the opening verse found in Jeremiah was all I needed. It consists of two questions that the Lord asked of Jeremiah and then again he asked them to me a few thousand years later. Two questions that have the same answer; two questions that probe the recesses of the heart. Two questions that every apprentice of Jesus must settle, probably many times along the journey towards spiritual maturity. Though I found the God's Word enough to paint the picture in my mind I found a couple of pictures on the net to aid with the imagery.

The verse is Jer. 12:5 "If you have raced with men on foot and they have worn you out, how can you compete with horses? If you stumble in safe country, how will you manage in the thickets by the Jordan?

The thickets along the Jordan River

3 comments:

Unknown said...

what themes would you be interested in?

Unknown said...

I figure that a good easy read is a book called "The Barbarian Way" WHile I found it to be a bit personality driven it has some pretty awesome things to say. It is by Erwin Raphael McManus

Unknown said...

how does "essays on premillennialism" grab you? Be careful how you answer someone who wrote it will be watching:)

OR

I've heard that Max Lucado's latest offer is pretty good but the name excapes me right now