Saturday, February 18, 2006

Things that make you go hmmm....

Yesterday two things happened that made me go hmmm.... The first was an experience I had while stopping to fuel up my truck around 7:30 last night. I pulled in just ahead of a very expensive looking SUV built by Lexus that was sporting Washington plates. Three women in their early 40's got out but it soon became totally apparent they had never fueled up their vehicles before. They had no idea of how to start the pump, they had no idea where the gas port on the vehicle was, and they did not know how to pay for their gas. They called over to me and asked how to pay so I told them to go inside for that. I finished and followed the one women in while she tried to figure out how her debit card worked. Then after several attempts she decided to go get a credit card from one of her friends but only wanted to put 10.00 worth of gas in...in her words, "to start with lets put 10 dollars in and and then see if I will need more gas after that" I finally got my gas paid for and got out of there with the women still not having put one drop of gas into their SUV! Gotta wonder?
The second thing was an email I got from one of the guys in our church. He often sends me quirky little things and most of the time they are kinda dumb. However, this one made me go hmmmm....

This is what he sent me, "Sometimes you just scratch your head....

When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered
that ball-point pens would not work in zero gravity. To combat this
problem, NASA scientists spent a decade and $12 billion developing a pen
that writes in zero gravity, upside-down, on almost any surface
including glass and at temperatures ranging from below freezing to over
300 C.

The Russians used a pencil. Your taxes are due again--enjoy paying them."
Just some things that make you go Hmmmm....
God is Good All the Time.

1 comment:

Shuana said...

Hey Kevin, these are great story seeds. These kinds of experiences that make you go hmmmm are exactly what I've been telling my creative writing students to watch for. What a great opportunity to build these women into characters, determine the how and the why of their helplessness at the age of 40!