Saturday, July 23, 2005

Breakfast ... Club

Ok for all you whiners out there it did rain here in the not so sunny Okanogan so the temperature was only 26 C and it poured most of the day... Most of the day except for the morning that is. This morning I woke up late from the affects of attending a motor vehicle accident last night until 2:00 in the morning. But when I did finally wake up my wife pleasantly asked me if I wanted to join her down town to sit at a table on the sidewalk in front of her Edward Jones office and share breakfast together. When we arrived we found that the neighbor, a fish and chip shop, had left their stove on slightly and the entire building smelled of the sickly odor of natural gas. But once we got past that little surprise we were able to sip on fresh brewed Tim Hortons coffee, enjoyed a ham, cheese and mushroom omelet and some delightful conversation that had little direction and was quite light hearted. One of the best ways to start any day I would say.
Meanwhile, my friend down the street named Tim opened up his hardware store. We could see him putting out his wears and getting ready for a full day of business from where were sitting. He also shares the building he is in with a nice Hungarian lady who runs a clothing/beach wear shop. Shortly after Cheryl and I had finished our sweet time together a couple of young men began to bother this lady. She came out of her store shocked and upset and acting as though she had been assaulted. So Tim, who is usually a bit of an over actor, grabbed a grub hoe handle to use as a club and marched out after these boys (both in their twenties). He also thought they had stolen a couple of shirts off his outdoor rack so he was pretty heated. The thing escalated to the point where the police were called in and after statements were taken the tempers finally cooled down. Later he told me that the lady next door was defiantly over-reacting, he definitely over-reacted ( the boys didn't take his T-shirts) and said that a gentle tone would have been a much more powerful way to solve the problem. Really not the way you would want to start off the day - anytime really! Seems like there is never a dull moment around here these days.
As the day progressed Cheryl got some really great news and I better stop there or she will be mad at me for stealing her thunder.
And now the weekend is upon us... Counseling tonight, wedding tomorrow evening and more visiting with Quentin and Tracee before they leave Sunday and then church, preaching and family on Sunday. Looking forward to it all.

8 comments:

Cheryl said...

Yes, I got wonderful news today! It is a long, boring-to-everyone-but-me story, so the long and short of it is, to maintain my sanity and emotional health, for the rest of the summer I get Mondays off and a shortened work day of Tuesday to Friday, 8am-10am and 12pm-2pm. My regional leader wants 'to keep me happy until my new rep shows up Sept.12' and 'he greatly appreciates how I have hung in there for the past 1.5 years of transition/declining business'. I am understandably now VERY excited, happy and feeling exceptionally blessed! :-)

Shuana said...

That is great news -- your summer will be so much more pleasant...and I'm sure Kenz will enjoy having you around more.

My what an eventful little city you come from--is it a city? or a suburb? definitely a series of unfortunate events mixed in with some fortunate events....I'll quit now.

Shuana said...

Hey Kevin, I was just reading a newsletter from your district--over the internet--and saw that Rick Rabuck passed away. Did you know him? I remember him well--he was a friend at CBC.

Unknown said...

rick was a good friend and fellow pastor in the area. Rhonda and family are still in the vernon area.

Unknown said...

first thing i will do when I see him tonight

Shuana said...

unca, please read my blog on "spelling nazis" :)

Nan said...

Oh, I'm disappointed. I thought your big news might be another grandbaby...hahaha

Cheryl said...

ha ha mom!