Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Against the Current

Mackenzie and I took time this afternoon to go to Penticton and ride the canal that connects Okanogan Lake with Skaha Lake. The water moves along at a pretty good clip and you cover about 3 or 4 kilometers in about 1 1/2 hours. We take our goggles and snorkles along and look for treasures that fall out of peoples pockets and off of their flotation devises as they float along down the canal. The sun is hot, the water is just right and the company is just plain ole fun to be around. There were a couple of times when I got separated from Mackenzie since she was having some wardrobe malfunctions, i.e. her goggles kept fogging up for some reason. When this happened I tried to put the brakes on and stop so I could wait for her to catch up. Nearly impossible! I bumped and slid along trying to get some sort of footing so I could fight the current and hold my ground. Once I even tried swimming up stream but soon found that the best I could do was exert a lot of energy and go exactly no where. I stayed above the same rock the whole time I was frantically trying to make some head way. As I floated along I notice a nice par of speedo goggles on the floor of the canal but it took a ton of energy to swim back and get them(I also found a quarter). I figured there was a lesson to learn in all this and sure enough one easily surfaced. Sometimes doing the right thing really does feel like your trying to swim up stream or even just hold your ground against the current of a sin filled and sick culture and sadly even the church culture. The current is so demanding it never lets up, it never lets you rest if you try to fight it and it is carrying you along even if you don't want it to. The best way to stop was to guide your feet to a big solid bolder under the surface of the water and firmly plant your feet on it. Once firmly planted upon the rock we could stand against the relentless current. I know it's getting a bit over the top but it sure is fun to capture the imagery and see how life imitates faith so often. In case your wondering what happened to Cheryl she gracious offered not to float but to do a little shopping and then meet us at the half way point with the van. She picked us up and we drove to Ok Falls for some famous tickleberry's ice cream. I think one of the beautiful things about Heaven will be the absence of the current of evil. Once we got out of the canal, at that exact moment, there was no more fighting or struggling. It was all over. What a day that will be.
Good day off.

1 comment:

Shuana said...

Great image Kevin. The struggle is, also, to hold firmly to our faith.