Thursday, August 04, 2005

Reports of wonder

Today, I started out with a good walk as my cardio workout. During that 50+ minute march I began to feel consumed with all the garbage that is running wild in our church. Sins too many to count, a lack of participation, a lack of care and concern, a lack of initiative, the coming church discipline and the probable fall out that comes with such an ordeal and the poor attendance we have had the last few Sundays while in the park. That was just for starters! I was not thinking right nor was I particularity interested in thinking right, I was enjoying my pity party complete with my imagined written and re-written resignation. I was almost finished planning my own farewell party and all of you were invited!
However, over the course of the morning I had three guests come to see me in my office downtown. You might say they were three little angels sent by the Lord. Each one had at least two or three stories of victory and one specifically told of so many encouraging things that were happening to him I lost track of them all. One thing he mentioned was this little saying that had been blessing him over the past couple of weeks. It goes something like this..."It's not how many breaths you take in a day but what takes your breath away throughout the day that really matters." I could literally feel myself coming out of my cloudy disposition and as I sat and listened to the "reports of wonder"(things that just take your breath away) in peoples lives I began to feel God's sweet presence creep back into the center of my heart and mind. Needless to say, the rest of my day was much more productive and more vibrant. I was in a terrific frame of mind come the end of the day. I zipped home, grabbed MacKenzie, and headed to the beach and for the next hour and a half we swam and laughed and played water games and had a terrific time together.
I re-learned an old lesson today. We sure do need each other in the faith. Sometimes to prop each other up or to hold back the prevailing dark clouds, other times to bring light and truth and a sense of wonder back into our mindsets. I guess that must be why we are commanded so often to encourage each other. It really does make a huge difference.

5 comments:

Shuana said...

Proverbs 15:30 A cheerful look brings joy to the heart,
and good news gives health to the bones.

Nan said...

Was this a lament? Hopefully you felt better with the encouraging word.

Nan said...

Kev, the coolest thing happened the other night. I was watching the country music festival on TV and Wynona Judd was singing a song I really liked. When I listened to the words it was 'I can only imagine' which you sang at Grampa's funeral. It was very beautiful.

Shuana said...

Mom, you can also view this music video at:
http://launch.yahoo.com/ar-280688-videos--MercyMe

Unknown said...

much better thank you. I guess it was really a short lament. just one of those days that most pastors I know go through from time to time. You could pray for us here we have about 5 sexual immorality cases to deal with all at once. It seems thats I get done around here is spank spank spank all these braty sheep!:{