Friday, September 23, 2005

Boredom

I had an interesting 2 hour chat today with a couple people. Something happened that I have noticed before in many if not all the groups I have led or been a part of in my ministry. It happens pretty much daily in numerous ways in numerous conversations with numerous people. There is a tendency to minimize and divert attention from what is really at the heart of a matter. I know I do it all the time as well. Even though I know the intention of the group is to grow deeper together or even the intention of the conversation is healthy and caring, I still hide and detour my way around certain topics, especially if those conversations are getting close to the heart. This afternoon I asked one person how he was doing and he said "really good". That's pretty much the standard answer I have become accustomed to so I decided to not let him get away with such a trite answer. I asked what was going so good? He responded that not many things were going that well. As he continued to speak each sentence began to unravel a world of disappointment, confusion and boredom...especially boredom. Finally, he said, "So I guess I am not doing so great eh?"
The other person in the room piped up and spilled his similar battle with boredom. His was more of a roller coaster affair with an enemy that scared him. He knew his boredom was a precursor to all kinds of temptation. He was concerned that in a moment of weakness due to his overwhelming sense of boredom he would give in. The two of them got into a great dialogue over this serious issue that faces so many people in our world. Each of us is in our early 40's and we wondered a bit about mid life and whether or not that might have some influence. I confessed that so far I have been able to beat the boredom bug but felt trapped at times inside my calling to pastor here in this place. While it is not the same as boredom it can have similar effects on our overall sense of well-being.
I wondered if maybe King David was bored when he was out viewing the city of Jerusalem instead of out taking care of Kingly business? Then while viewing the city he caught an eye full of sensual beauty in the person of Bathsheba. One thing lead to another and .... you know the rest of the tragic story. Was it boredom that was at the heart of this sad story?
I once heard a saying that went like this, "most people in the world live lives of quiet desperation." Even christians can have these kinds of feelings. What do we do with them? Where do they come from and when do they leave? What does one say to someone who has a solid faith in Christ and yet struggles sometimes with an overwhelming feeling of boredom in life? We finished our chat without to many answers, none in fact, but the others expressed that they felt a bit better just having had the chance to share their struggle. Maybe that's the point. Nobody tried to fix anyone, there was just a great feeling of not being alone in our struggle. And, Christ is there in the midst and so are a couple of other brothers to support, pray and stand beside us.

9 comments:

Shuana said...

Trite answers are what most people want when they ask you how you are. When we were underemployed for five years we learned that if we were honest about how we were, people's eyes glazed over and they wanted to leave the conversation very quickly.

I think Christians are afraid to admit most of their problems and feelings because they are afraid that they will discredit or disprove God in some way. I believe that God will prove himself in our situations. I think its great that you initiated this time of honest sharing.

Cheryl said...

Great blog Kevin. A very relevant topic in my own life, as you well know, thus the new hobby I have taken up in crocheting and making a conscious effort to spend more time with new people.

Nan said...

On an unrelated topic, when I downloaded the new MSN it has become my home page and I want telus to be my home page. Even though I go to telus and click make this my homepage it keeps going back to MSN and US news. Help!

Shuana said...

Mom, go to tools and internet connection. Put the internet address for the page you want for your home page in the General section where it says: Home page address.

Shuana said...

tools is at the top of your internet tool bar.

Nan said...

Thanks fixed it. Another unrelated topic..I can't access Cheryl's blog site. It says I am an unauthorized viewer! I am feeling quite picked on!

Shuana said...

It sometimes does that to me too. Just try again and it should come up.

Cheryl said...

yeah, I've had that same problem. Today I couldn't get into Cam's but next time I tried I was allowed...although there was nothing new to read! :-)

Shuana said...

This is getting boring :))