Sunday, September 04, 2005

Stupid gas prices

Well, we have had to tighten up the belt considerably this week. Funny how when it comes to making belt tightening decisions their is that initial sense of loss, a bit of grief and pinch of remorse before the decision is made. However, after it is made we wonder how come it was so painful because we feel "free-er" for having unloaded some costs and some stuff that apparently we really could go without- quite nicely thank you very much. However, one more decision must be made. My nice little GMC Sonoma 4X4! I love my truck. Dad gave it to me a couple years back and I love my truck. It has been a good truck as well, reliable, handy and of course a little bit of fun when 4X4ing is happening. But it only gets about 25 mpg at best and that means that with amount of driving I do with it and the amount of driving we do as a family with the van our weekly fuel costs average around $150.00! Throw into the mix that I have not had a raise in about 8 years and it looks like a smaller, cheaper vehicle is in the near future. I asked a friend of mine who is a partner in a dealership to see if he could find me a 4 cylinder car that could seat 5 and get good fuel economy. He called me back so fast that I was caught off guard. A Dodge Stratus had come onto their lot, 1997, 150,000 klms, loaded, 4 cyl. five pass. and front wheel drive. He would trade me straight across + 500 and taxes. And we can pay off the 500+taxes over a few months if we need to (which we would need to do). We are taking the weekend to think about it and pray about it but it may have to happen as I hear prices are going to up again! Stupid gas prices!

4 comments:

Nan said...

My advice--don't do anything rash. You have never done without the space of a van where the kids have elbow room. Everyone would have to make a big adjustment. I think a RAISE would make better sense.

Shuana said...

Seems like the gifts outweigh the prices!

Anonymous said...

my brother in law had a dodge stratus and had nothing but trouble with it after 100k.

Nan said...

Cam tells me I got it wrong..it is the truck you are thinking of swapping. That is another thing altogether.