Saturday, May 07, 2005

Love displayed by a devoted wife

I have been moved deeply lately by the undying devotion, uncompromising display of compassion, and the unyielding care of the wife of a good friend who is losing his life to that all to common enemy cancer. While I was on a recent one hour visit, I watched her change sheets, inject water and food into an intervenes tube, help her husband sit up, go for a thirty second walk to the couch and then back again, assisted him with his bathroom duties, anointed his bed sores, fed him his medication along with some applesauce from a baby food jar. This friend was a six foot 2, ex-champion boxer, with the biggest smile and a hearty handshake. Now, he is only a shadow of his former physical self. It was hard to see him that way. But I must admit, as I watched his wife display the most powerful expression of love and devotion I have witnessed in some time I was blessed by having been in their home. God grant her strength for the days ahead and rest for the long lonely nights in their bed.

No comments: