Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Time off is good behavior

Today was my day off. I relaxed, I did some yard work, I enjoyed some TV and I went to firefighters practice. I walked down to my wife's office and we had a cup of coffee together. I was able to go pick up Paige from school as her allergies were giving her a headache. I feel so blessed for having been faithful to my day off. I am convinced that working 7 days a weeks is seriously damaging to us as human beings. I am convinced that the cycle of 6 days of work and one day of rest was not just a command but a command that had our very best interests in mind. It was also one of the most common failures of the ancient Israelites. They constantly disregarded the Sabbath and God constantly made them pay for it. Why is it so tough to keep a Sabbath? Why is it so difficult for us today to lay down our tools, our pens, the business of our busy lives for some good old fashioned R & R. I have been faithful to my day off for about 18 years of ministry. Only a handful of times have I violated it and that was for a serious reason like an accident, a death or a special service of some kind. That's it, as far as I can remember I have been a faithful day-off kinda guy. I always feel refreshed and ready for a new week after taking my Mondays off. Thanks for the great idea God!