Friday, June 03, 2005

Accusations

I'm on a lunch break so I thought I would write a little quickie. Today I had a guy who called himself Eugene Peterson stop by at around 10 AM while I was working in my office. He came barging in, plunked his stuff down on my office floor, told me his name, told me he had talked to me before, (which he hadn't) then he let me have it. Both barrel's of pure slimmy accusations. All about how I never did anything for the lost, those who need assistance I just ignore. He said I was just like all the rest of those pastors out there just looking after their own. Nobody ever helps him, they take one look at his he dirty clothes, unshaven face and walk away. He had had it with Christians who just left him hungry and angry. This went on and on for about 10 minutes and I just sat there and let him cough up his hairball. He kept stopping to see if he was going to get a reaction out of me but I just sat there quietly listening. My silence unnerved him a bit. Then I finally asked what it was he wanted help with and it started the whole show all over again. I finally took him for a bowl of soup and a quick ride to Westbank where I bought him a one way ticket to Armstrong. That is where he wanted to go. After he got into my truck I confronted him on his horrible way of asking for help. All he had to do was tell me honestly what he wanted without all the unfounded accusations. I said it was not suprising to me that he received very little help. He sat for a bit in silence and then he apologized. He asked me if I knew Pastor Tom from Cold lake and I said yes and that my brother works with him. He really liked that. He also asked me if I knew Kevin Hogan in Sylvan Lake and a few other Alliance pastors even the one in Hythe Alberta. He even asked me if I had ever heard of Eugene Peterson, you know the guy who wrote The Message? I told him I had and that I enjoyed his "book". Anyway I dropped him off, he thanked me and began to down his soup while he waited for 10 min. until the bus came. Come to think of it I should have had him sign my copy of The Message! There is never a dull moment around here.