Friday, June 17, 2005

Are Your Arms Crossed or Your fingers Crossed?

I was listening to CBC radio the other day. The interviewer was interviewing a young up and coming actress. They were laughing and enjoying themselves over the questions and answers. Then the actress was asked, do you get nervous when you go on stage? The answer went something like this... "Before it starts I am all nerves but once I get going and get into character it's what makes my soul sing. I love acting. The worst is when you are all alone on stage and it is opening night. No one comes to opening night because they love the theater. Most of the people sitting out there have their arms crossed rather than their fingers crossed. They are there as critics and not supportive..." Her words created quite a picture in my mind. I began to think about how I respond to those who appear to have their arms crossed rather than their fingers crossed in my own life. Arms crossed folks are the frowners, nay sayers, wait and see people, negative, usually legalistic, unforgiving, gruff, control freaks, and sour pusses! Howard Hendricks once said they are those who appear to have been weaned on a dill pickle! They seem to have all day to develop their judgmental muscles. The fingers crossed folks are the well wishers, the positive, yes-sayers, merciful, kind, encouraging, the hope for the best and pray for the rest, kind of folks. The arms crossed folks usually get very little out of me while the fingers crossed folks bring me great joy.
Then I wondered if I was a cross the arms or cross the fingers kind of guy? Do I speak life to people or do I deal in death with my words? Am I a joy bringer to those around me or do I smother with condemning words and sour attitudes?
I also wondered if there was a right time to cross the arms and a right time to cross the fingers? Jesus seemed to cross his arms when those around him were legalistic, harsh and unforgiving. But he seemed to cross his fingers when it came to the common people. He longed so much to see them be filled with life and the true kingdom of God. He despised what the preachers of the Law had laid on them. He worked himself to the cross to set them free from all the burdens that the arms crossed religious leaders had laid upon them.
I pray that I would have the kind of wisdom and sense of timing that Jesus had. Arms crossed over sin and selfishness, over power and control or just plain nastiness. But fingers crossed hoping for the best and praying for the rest in the lives of those around me.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

great blog today! things to ponder!

Shuana said...

Variety is the spice--we need to appreciate all kinds--and I think you're right, we need to be the right kind, at the right time, in the right place. --a reference to Thomas Carlyle's essay, "Heroes and Hero Worship" (I think that's what its called.)

HAHAHA to Chris' comments.

Unknown said...

hahaha that is too funny! I'm glad to see you did this with your fingers crossed:)