Monday, June 06, 2005

Sports imitates life

What a great service today. Awesome Holy Spirit saturated worship and a fantastic testimony from one our young people who recently returned from Guiana, South America. I am pretty sure there wasn't a dry eye among us as she wept her way through her talk sharing of Gods powerful grace in her life. She was so moved by how God used their ministry group to literally deliver people from evil, to open the eyes of the blind and to see the lame walk. It was a tremendous time and our church was deeply moved by it.
After that I went out and played my first game of softball in about 3 years! I absolutely had a blast. They put me on 3rd base and fortunately I was able to make a couple of exciting plays. One play in particular was a diving catch but after making the snag I realized I would be too slow to get up and throw it so while lying face down in the dirt I passed it off to the pitcher who threw it to first for the out. Later people were calling it the Panasonic turning point of the game. I also hit a homer.
Something interesting did catch my attention while we were playing. I was playing with the firefighters team and in the middle of the game we had two emergency calls. So, while the team on field looked on, the "team" on the bench answered the emergency calls. We continued to play with sirens blaring. In the middle of playing we were in the middle of two emergencies. It was kind of a snap shot of what life is like. Parts of life are just skipping along while other parts of our life are experiencing some sort of trauma. I wondered about how many of the people on the two teams who were playing a great game of baseball, were quietly suffering relational trauma, or personal pain, or a health crisis or some other emergency. As I looked around I recognized a few who would fall into this category. It is amazing how sport imitates life! The great bible missionary Paul recognized this connection and used athletics to help us understand how the Christian life works. Thanks for the fun of sports God, and thanks that they can teach us about life in you as well.
Oh by the way, the game ended in a 14 to 14 tie!

2 comments:

Nan said...

You are indeed a baseball legend (in your own mind) hahahahaha

Cheryl said...

I was told by a member of the opposite team that one of their players said that they had to cheer for the pastor so they wouldn't go to hell! It was quite funny the way she told the story. Everyone loves Kevin! Hey that would make a good tv show! hee hee