Sunday, June 05, 2005

SSSSSSSSSSSSnake

This morning it was so beautiful outside I decided to walk down to my office for my 9:00 am elders meeting. I grabbed a handful of grapes and a tall Starbucks coffee mug, filled it with piping hot coffee from Tim Hortons and headed down the hill. The scenery was spectacular as the sun shimmered off the water below, the grapes were delightful and the coffee was impossible to drink. Have you ever tried to walk down a steep road and drink coffee at the same time? It was all over my hands, up my nose, splattered across my sunglasses, down my shirt, and the cream and sugar made it into a sticky gooey mess! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!! Anyway, as I cut across a big open grassy area and came to the road side I almost stepped on a mound of snake! At first is was motionless, so I tapped it with my shoe to see if it was alive and its tale began to rattle and so I knocked it about again and he went into his defensive "S" formation like he was ready to strike. I moved back because I was suddenly aware that it may not have been a bull snake (harmless) but an actual rattle snake (you know what that means). So I quickly alerted the fellow doing his yard work near by. However, by the time we got back to the location of the snake it had already wisely vanished into a deep grassy ditch. After I told him about the encounter he was pretty sure that no rattle snake had been sited around that area for as long as he could remember (I think he mentioned 50 years), however, he did grab his little dog up into the safety of his arms. When he grabbed his little Schitzu like that his actions definitely spoke louder than his words. He swooped that little mutt up into his arms and whisked him away to safety. I looked a bit further in the ditch but decided I was going to be late for my meeting. I also didn't want to risk being the first person in Peachland to discover a rattle snake the hard way!
Just some of my adventures in Peachland. Hope your having a good day.